Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Going Back In Time to Visit Meg Sonnenfeld


  Hi! Today I have something fun to share with you. Although most people don't know this, I keep a time machine in my closet which I use from time to time. The other day I used it to take a trip back to 1897, and meet Meg Sonnenfeld, the main character in the book I'm writing. I thought it would be fun to turn that adventure into a little story and share it with you.

  Last Thursday afternoon I was sitting upon my bed, when all of a sudden a thought came to me. Wouldn't it be fun if I could meet Meg, the girl in my book, and interview her for my readers? Excited with the thought, I quickly got out a pen and paper and began writing down some questions. I struggled to focus on my duties for the rest of the day, because I was so excited for evening to come. 
  When Mama finally finished work, I asked her if she needed me for anything. When she said she didn't, I hurried up to my room and quickly got myself ready to meet Meg, grabbing my list of questions. With that, I went into my closet and shut the door.
  "When in the book should I go to?" I wondered as I programmed in the date. Finally I decided on shortly after she moved in with the Andersons. After setting several more dials in place, I clicked the big red button that said Take Off. Suddenly my closet began to shake, and I felt it being lifted into the air. Within a few seconds though, it was thrown down quite roughly.
  Cautiously I opened the door. Although I had used the time machine many times before, it's still always a bit of a shock when I step out and I'm no longer in my comfortable room, with my bed and desk and all of my things. This time I opened the door to a snow-covered farm in Massachusetts. What was I thinking? I reprimanded myself as I looked down at my elbow-length sleeves and flip-flops. I shivered, and quickly looked around. I spotted a girl about ten yards from me, hanging clean laundry on a bare tree to dry. She looked to be about fourteen years old, and although she looked shy, she looked kind. That must be Meg, I thought.
  Nervously I approached her. I could tell she was deep in thought, for she didn't notice me until I was right by her. When she finally did, she jumped back, startled.
  "Don't be afraid!" I told her. "My name is Laura, and I came to meet you."
  She stood still for a moment, still in shock. "Wh-where did you come from?" she finally blurted out. 
  How am I supposed to answer that? I wondered. Finally, I decided to tell her the truth. "I came here in my time machine," I said. "I live in the year 2019. I've been writing a book about you, and I thought it would be fun to meet you in person."
  Meg scanned me with her eyes. "A time machine?" she finally said, with a tone of unbelief in her voice. "Where is it?"
  "Where is the time machine?"
  She nodded.
  This was going to be hard to explain. One thing I haven't told you yet is that my time machine is invisible. "Um, it's over by that tree." I pointed over to the tree near where I had landed.
  "Over by the tree?" she questioned. I could tell she must have thought I was crazy.
  "Yes. You can't see it, but it's there. I mean, how else would I have gotten here?" I laughed, but she didn't. I'm not getting very far. Then an idea popped into my head. Although you couldn't see the time machine, you could feel it. "Come over here," I beckoned, walking over to the tree. 
  For a moment she stayed put. After all, I was a stranger who was claiming I came from a hundred and twenty-two years in the future. After a minute though, she relented. I knocked on the air for a minute until I finally heard a thump. Found it. "Here, will you feel it?" I asked her. 
  Cautiously she reached out and felt it. She shuddered and pulled her hand quickly away. I waited. She reached out again, and this time she didn't pull back. She brushed her hand along the front of it, until she found the doorknob. She gasped as she pulled it open. Taking a step inside, she felt around at the different buttons and dials on the wall. "Be careful," I told her. 
  After several minutes, she came back out. "I can't believe it's real," she said in wonder. I smiled. 
  "I didn't believe it could be real at first either," I told her. After that, we walked back over to the laundry. As she went back to her work, I asked her some of the questions on my list. "What are some of your favorite things to do?" 
  "Well," she started, and then paused, thinking. "I definitely love to write. I write letters a lot, and also keep a journal. 
  "Do you like to read?" I asked her. 
  "Occasionally. Growing up, we didn't have many books, because they're pretty hard to come by where we lived. I got a copy of Pilgrim's Progress for Christmas this year though, and have enjoyed that."
  "What is your favorite song?" I asked her. 
  "Favorite song?" she repeated nervously. "Well, I used to like 'Leaning On the Everlasting Arms'. Now it just seems..." Her voice trailed off. I decided I should change the subject.
  "How do you like living with the Andersons?" I asked.
  "We're adjusting to it," she smiled. "They seem pretty nice."
  "Okay, that's all I have. I guess I'll get going now."
  "Visit again sometime!" she said as I walked over to the time machine.
  "I will!" I waved, and then got inside. Setting the dials back to 2019, I pushed Take Off. Within several seconds I had landed back in my bedroom. I went over and sat on my bed. What a day, I thought as I got out my journal to record the days happenings. What a day.

Did you enjoy reading about my adventure on Thursday? Have you ever traveled in time?
Photo from Unsplash
  

6 comments:

Please feel free to leave a comment! But if you do, please make sure it is honoring to God. Thank you!