Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Memorizing Scripture-->Guest Post By Lilly Shyree


  Hello! Today me and Lilly, from A Lilly in God's Garden are doing a post swap. Here's her post, and when you're done reading be sure to check out her blog!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello there,
I’m Lilly Shyree and I blog at: alillyingodsgarden.blogspot.com.  Today I want to encourage you to know God’s word better.   
-          God’s word is powerful!!
Hebrews 4:12 says, For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
-          His word shows the way!!   
Psalm 119: 105 says, Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
We see from these verses that without the Bible…we are helpless.  This is why I really want to stress Bible memorization, which is a great way to know God better. 
Psalm 119: 11 says, Your word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
There are days when we don’t have a Bible right in front of us to look up a verse.  There may be a days when our Bibles are taken away from us and we won’t have the encouragement to get through the persecution.  But if we memorize his word then no one can take it away from us!!  With God’s word we will always be able to fight against the troubles that come our way. 
Maybe you are thinking… “Wow this is good truths but I can’t memorize.  I’ve tried but I just CAN’T memorize.” 
But you can.  If I can…YOU CAN.  I’m sure you could probably sing the song Let It Go.  You might not realize it but you are always memorizing something.  We need to make sure that we are memorizing good things that are truly important. 
“Where do I start?” 
Start out this week memorizing one verse.  Try memorizing John 1:1, which says, In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Here are a few steps on how to memorize:
-          Read the verse a couple times
-          Read the verse aloud a couple times
-          Read the first line a couple times
-          Say the first line aloud without looking at the verse
-          Repeat these steps until you’ve got the verse memorized
Tip: If you can, try to record your voice saying the verses and listen to it multiple times a day.  You can even burn it on a CD and listen to it while you go to sleep.  It helps a lot!!
Do you memorize God’s word?  How do you memorize?  What are your favorite passages?
Thanks so much, Laura, for doing the post swap with me!!  It was a lot of fun!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Feel free to leave her a comment below! 

11 comments:

  1. This is so true <3 great tips!

    Ellie
    www.uniquelyyou1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the idea of recording your voice saying the verse, and then listening to it multiple times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One way anyone can memorize is by an awesome organization called the Bible Bee. (Find more at BibleBee.org) I strongly encourage you to participate. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. o I love to watch the Bible Bee. it is so cool. I want to do it some time!!!

      Delete
    2. Sign up now, Beth!

      Delete
    3. Well I already memorizes scripter for a competition with my church and I am about to go to nationals!!! Do you do Bible Bee Paige May?

      Delete
    4. Hi Beth! Are you Lilly's sister?

      Delete
  4. I memorize with my Trek and Journey group, but since my church is no longer doing that, I guess I'll just work on my own! :P

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! But if you do, please make sure it is honoring to God. Thank you!