Saturday, February 4, 2017

DIY Embroidery Floss Pen Tutorial




Hello! Today I'm going to show you how to make a DMC Floss Pen, like the one pictured above. 

You'll need 2 things of DMC Floss, one for the color of the letters, and one for the other color. And you'll need a simple pen, one without a handle, hot glue, and scissors. 

To Begin: Using the color floss you want your letters to be, cut a piece the length of 3 pens. Cut 4 more. Now you have 5. Tie them together at the end (see picture below.)



Glue the knot at the top, but back of the pen. I suggest pushing the string that is on the top of the pen in the picture below, off to the side, and not gluing it to the top, like I did. Afterwards the top will look a little sloppy if there's string on it.(Scroll down and read next text if you are confused).


This picture below is of the top of my finished pen. See how the string looks sloppy at top. I suggest before you glue it, to push it onto the sides of the pen.



Now get your other color, and with  a little dot of glue, glue it on and begin to wrap around the pen.

Keep wrapping around.



Okay, for the tricky part. The picture above is of the letter chart. 
Spread out you letter floss(mine's the yellow) so that you can see each strand. Pick your first letter. Mine's H, because I'm spelling HAPPINESS. The first part in H is the straight line on the left. Notice how it takes up 5 squares. So I lift up all 5 yellow strands, and wrap the blue around one time, 

Then I put the yellow back down. 


For the next row in H, just the middle yellow strand will show. So I lift up the middle yellow strand, wrap a blue over the other four, and put my yellow down again. Then I'll repeat the first row by lifting up all the yellows, wrapping the blue around once, and putting the yellow back down. 


Now that I'm done H, I'll wrap around a few times in blue. Since I want it to be blue, I wrap right over the yellows. 
If your letter doesn't look right, like my N below seemed off, you can kinda push the floss around some with a needle or something else pointy till it's just right.


After I finished all my letters, I added a few stripes by lifting up the yellows and wrapping the blue, than putting the yellows all back down. 
 If you have any questions, feel free to comment below, and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can! 


When you're almost at the bottom, cut the string you made you letters with and add a dot of glue to hold it down. Too much glue will make it lumpy. Keep wrapping as long as you'd like, than cut and glue that string too. 


Great job! And your done! 


PROBLEM: I was left with a sloppy top. DO you any ideas of something I could do to fix it now that I'm done? I tried a bead on top, but that didn't look right. 

Enjoy! 
                   Laura@ FlowersInMyBasket



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment! But if you do, please make sure it is honoring to God. Thank you!