About a week ago we made one because my little brother was learning about the letter "A", and it was very good!
It makes 1 pie.
To make it, you'll need:
- 2 pie crusts(not cooked yet)*see below
- At least 6 medium/large apples pealed cored and sliced
- 2 T flour
- 3/4 c + 1 T sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 t apple pie spice
- 1 1/2 T milk
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 T butter, chilled, cut in to small pieces
*Pie crusts- we used to use store bought pie crust, and that's fine too, but we found a really good pie crust on All recipes..
If you use that, I suggest changing it to 24 servings( you'll still have some leftover dough though, and even though it will says 3/4 of an egg, just use a whole egg) here is the link:Pie crust . Be sure to make before you peel core and slice apples, as they will brown sitting out too long.
TO MAKE PIE
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Fit 1 piecrust into a 9-inch pie dish.
- Mix apples, 3/4 sugar, flour, apple pie spice, and salt in a large mixing bowl until apples are coated.
- Turn apple mixture into pastry-lined pie dish: spread evenly. Scatter butter pieces over top of mixture.
- Fit top crust over apple mixture. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust around edges. Press edges together to seal. You can press a fork around the edges if you want.
- Cut a heart using a sharp knife in the middle.
- Brush top of crust with milk. Make slits in top crust to create steam vents.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake until golden, 40-45 min.
Enjoy! And pin if you want to try it!