Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Silverton Home for Girls - A Poem




Hello! Today I thought I would share a little piece from my book. "The Silverton Home for Girls" is a poem at the end of A Greater Purpose. All the people mentioned in the poem are important characters in the story. Also, I just lowered the e-book price to $2.99, which you can find here. I hope you enjoy!

Silverton Home for Girls
 This home is very different

Than most other homes, you see.

It takes a lot of people

To make our big family.


There’s Hilda in the kitchen,

She cleans and cooks real well;

And Charity’s in the school room,

Her teaching’s really swell.


Lina is an artist,

She loves to paint and draw.

She spends many hours painting,

And her sketches fill the walls.


They’ve deemed me the head seamstress,

And the task they’ve given me

Is to mend and darn and patch the holes

And sew up dresses plenty.


Sean McGrady works real hard

At making chairs and toys;

He sells them at the market

To little girls and boys.


Annie McGrady spends her days

Tending the youngest girls.

She rocks them, bathes them,

Soothes their cries, and combs their little curls.


The girls’ days are kept full,

But they’re learning oh, so much.

Like reading, drawing, sewing,

And gardening, and such.


When God first sent me here,

Across the wide, blue sea,

His purposes were greater 

Than I ever could foresee.

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful poem! I enjoyed the read, and it makes me excited to read the book! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! But if you do, please make sure it is honoring to God. Thank you!